Job Vacancies at Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) June, 2023. Ifakara seeks qualified and experienced Laboratory Technologists.
Position: Laboratory Technologist (2 posts)
Reports To: Project Leader
Work Station: Bagamoyo
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research, service delivery and policy translation.
Ifakara seeks qualified and experienced Laboratory Technologists. The role entails working at the IHI Clinical Trials Facility in Bagamoyo and will support the processing of the immunological and molecular biology samples collected during clinical trials conducted at the facility.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform routine tests in assigned areas of the laboratory according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), Quality manual, Safety manual and Sample collection manual as well as in line with GCP, GCLP and approved trial protocols.
- Ensure specimens collected and received are documented or managed properly before analysis.
- Ensure that all safety procedures are adhered to when collecting, labelling and storing all laboratory specimens.
- Ensure that laboratory data including laboratory findings are recorded as per protocol and stored appropriately.
- Perform peripheral blood mononuclear cell (PBMC) isolation procedures and storage of cells according to SOP.
- Perform serum and plasma separations and storage according to SOP.
- Perform immunoassays such as ELISAs for evaluation of immune responses against various vaccine interventions.
- Performing Flow cytometer assays for immune cell phenotypes.
- Perform qPCR for diagnosis of various pathogens at a molecular level.
- Document and report protocol deviations and implement CAPA for the reported deviations.
- Perform any other relevant duties assigned by the Principal Investigator (PI).
- Ensure the provision of high-quality and accurate lab results.
- Maintain trial documents database for sample biobanks and archived samples.
Qualification and Experience
- Holder of a degree in Medical Laboratory Technology/ Sciences, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology or other related fields.
- At least 1 year of extensive working experience on laboratory sample manipulations such as PBMC isolations, ELISpot, and ELISAs assays.
- If you are registered and allowed to practice as a Medical Laboratory Technologist it will be added advantage.
Skills and Competencies
- Hard working and flexible on time schedules.
- Competency in microscopy and other laboratory assays such as ELISA, ELISPOT, Flow cytometry,
- Biochemistry, Hematology and Microbiology.
- Competency in computer Microsoft Word, Excel and any data analysis software such as R, STATA or GraphPad Prism will be added advantage.
- Adhere to IHI core values (Transparency, Responsibility, Integrity, Respect and Initiative).
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 17:00hrs on Monday, June 26th 2023. All e-mail application subject lines should include: LAB TECHNOLOGIST – BimVac01 BAG.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Human Resources Manager IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania Email: email@example.com