Job Vacancies at Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) June, 2023 – Ifakara seeks qualified and experienced Research Scientist (1 post)
Position: Research Scientist (1 post)
Reports To: Project Leader
Work Station: Ifakara
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) – simply Ifakara – is a leading research organization in Africa with a
strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic
mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering
biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research, service delivery and
CARECHAIN-NCD is a new project implemented by Ifakara with the aim of strengthening health systems
and management of non-communicable diseases in rural Tanzania. Ifakara is seeking for a Research
Scientist with a medical background to implement the Project activities within Kilombero. The Scientist
will deliver improved services in collaboration with the hospital, governmental authorities, and health
implementing partners collaborating with the Project.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate the CARECHAIN-NCD project activities at the hospital.
- Supervise the Project activities at dispensary and health center levels.
- Supervise community outreach activities in Kilombero.
- Develop training and education programs for the Project.
- Integrate the Project into the existing government NCD care strategy.
- Make daily supervision of patient care in the Heart and Lung Clinic, and the Intermediate Care
- Ensure good communication with the team and the specialists involved, maintaining a high
standard of interdisciplinary care of patients with NCDs.
- Perform any other related duties assigned by the Supervisor.
Qualification and Experience
- Holders of a degree of Doctor of Medicine (MD) with a Master of Medicine in Internal
Medicine/Critical care, Anaesthiology/Pediatrician or an MPH may apply.
- Demonstrated experience in clinical care for patients with chronic diseases (HIV, TB, cardiovascular,
respiratory diabetes, cancer and critically ill patients).
- Demonstrated experience in research, data collection and analysis, health camps, and community
Skills and Competencies
- Training, management and leadership skills.
- Fluent in both Swahili and English.
- Interest in doing both clinical and research work.
- Managing of critically ill patients.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style.
- Capable of building and sustaining relationships with junior and senior professionals.
- Interested in training of younger staff.
- Result oriented.
- Planning and organizing skills.
- Professional attitude to work and a clear work ethic.
- Adhere to IHI core values.
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment
of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job
requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 17 hours on Friday June 16th 2023.
All e-mail application subject lines should include RESEARCH SCIENTIST – CARECHAIN-NCD.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania