Job Title: School Boarding Matron
The Rift Valley Children’s Fund is a recognized non-governmental organization operating in the Karatu district of Tanzania.
Rift Valley Children’s Fund (RVCF) is seeking applications for a school boarding matron to work with our organization to begin in January 2024. The position will be based at our partner government secondary school in Karatu. The overall goal of this partnership is to create a solid foundation for academic excellence, raise the standards of education, ensure that all students (no matter how poor) have the opportunity for quality secondary education, and improve the school’s overall environment in order to attract the best teachers. Staff employed by Rift Valley Children’s Fund will be role models for all other school staff.
The specifics of this job include, but are not limited to:
To use leadership, organizational skills, and professional skills to:
- Assure the smooth running of the boarding house, emphasizing good communication and a sense of family amongst students within the boarding school.
- Serve as a professional role model for RVCF at all times to all members of Oldeani Secondary School, advocating for all of RVCF’s goals and policies diligently.
- Together with OSS School Leadership, oversee and manage the conduct and discipline of students boarding at OSS, applying OSS’s rules consistently.
- Actively support the OSS school leadership (Head of School, Academic Master, RVCF)
- Education Director and RVCF Programme Coordinator by encouraging students to participate in clubs, activities, and trips.
- Collate weekly student monitoring notes and raise concerns with the OSS School Leadership.
- Ensure a good sense of student wellness at all times that does not resort to using corporal punishment.
- Set a good example in terms of dress, punctuality, and attendance.
- Be a positive role model in all aspects of professional and private life.
- Accurately report and collaborate with the Head of School, Academic Master, and RVCF.
- Education Director and RVCF Programme Coordinator) on all matters relating to boarding.
The successful candidate will:
- Be a firm believer that strong student discipline and care can be achieved without using corporal punishment.
- Strong leadership and organization skills
- Have a degree in social work or a similar field.
- Have at least two years’ experience working as a matron or in social work.
- Have at least one year’s experience working with young people in a formal or informal setting.
- Have a good command of the English language.
- Have budget management experience
- Be prepared to work evenings, nights, and weekends.
- Be ready to be firm but fair with students.
- Be a dynamic individual and a great team player.
- Be flexible, sensible, and approachable.
- Be a good communicator, particularly with teenagers.
- Be ready to run and supervise extracurricular activities for students on weekends and evenings (sports, movie nights, etc.).
- Be kind, compassionate, a good listener, and ready to support students with their problems.
- The right to live and work in Tanzania
- Monthly Salary
- Accommodation Support (please note that due to the nature of this work, we are not able to provide accommodation for families)
- Transportation assistance to and from Karatu
- All meals while on duty
- Health care support for yourself and your immediate family
- Supportive work environment
A CV (three pages maximum), a cover letter (one page maximum), and relevant education certificates (forms 4 and 6, diplomas, degrees, or masters)
should be submitted to the RVCF Director of Education at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for applications is November 15th, 2023.
Please note: A cover letter should be no more than 1 page long and a CV no more than 2 pages long.