Job Vacancies at Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) June, 2023. Ifakara seeks a qualified and experienced Statistician.
Position: Statistician (1 post)
Reports To: Project Leader
Work Station: Dar es Salaam
Apply By: June 26, 2023
Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research, service delivery and policy translation.
Ifakara seeks a qualified and experienced Statistician. The role entails collaborating with the clinical research team to design and plan clinical trials and develop statistical analysis plans and randomization schemes. The Statistician will also provide ongoing statistical support throughout the study, ensuring adherence to data quality standards and regulatory requirements, conducting comprehensive statistical analyses, and effectively communicating findings. Familiarity with regulatory guidelines, adeptness in managing multiple projects within tight timelines, and critical thinking capabilities. Adherence to protocol and the principles of Good Clinical Practice (GCP) is of utmost importance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the clinical research team to design and plan clinical trials.
- Develop statistical analysis plans (SAPs) and statistical sections of study protocols.
- Develop randomization schemes and sample size calculations.
- Provide statistical support throughout the study, including data analysis, interpretation, and reporting.
- Contribute to the development of clinical trial reports and publications.
- Ensure that study data meets regulatory requirements and is of high quality.
- Work with the clinical research team to identify study endpoints and develop statistical methods to analyze the data.
- Conduct sample size calculations and power analyses to ensure that the study has sufficient statistical power to answer research questions.
- Develop and implement statistical analysis plans and programming code for data analysis.
- Conduct statistical analyses of study data and interpret the results.
- Work with data management teams to ensure that data collection and cleaning processes are of high quality.
- Contribute to the writing and review of clinical study reports, regulatory submissions, and scientific publications.
- Communicate statistical findings to study teams and other stakeholders.
Qualification and Experience
- Holder of a degree in Statistics
- Three years (3) of experience working in a research organization.
Skills and Competencies
- Strong statistical knowledge and expertise in clinical trial design and analysis.
- Proficiency in statistical software (such as SAS or R) and programming.
- Strong communication skills to explain complex statistical concepts to non-statisticians.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other members of the clinical research team.
- Attention to detail to ensure that data is of high quality and accurate.
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements for clinical trials and familiarity with industry standards and best practices.
- Ability to work under tight timelines and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to think critically and creatively to solve statistical challenges that may arise during the course of a clinical trial.
- Ensure the study is done according to the working protocol and adherence to the ICH Guidelines of Good Clinical Practice (GCP)
- Adhere to IHI core values (Transparency, Responsibility, Integrity, Respect and Initiative).
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI salary scales.
IHI is an equal-opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment of any kind at the workplace and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws of Tanzania.
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 17:00hrs on Monday, June 26th, 2023.
All e-mail application subject lines should include: STATISTICIAN – BimVac01 DAR.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview.
Human Resources Manager IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania Email: firstname.lastname@example.org